Monday, March 14, 2011

Four Funerals and a Wedding

In the mid 90's there was a movie with Hugh Grant and Andie McDowell called "Four Weddings & a Funeral." It was a british film about a group of friends attending a series of weddings and finally the funeral of one of their middle aged friends. It was reflective of the worlds' view of marriage and death as shown in this excerpt from a speech given by the main character at the funeral as he quotes W.H. Auden, "Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone, Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone, Silence the pianos and with muffled drum Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come. Let the aeroplanes circle, moaning overhead Scribbling on the sky the message 'He is Dead'. Put crepe bows 'round the white necks of the public doves, Let traffic policemen wear black, cotton gloves. He was my North, my South, my East, and West. My working week and my Sunday rest, My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song; I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong. The stars are not wanted now; put out every one, Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun, Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood; For nothing now can ever come to any good."

In January and February I attended Four Funerals and a Wedding with stark contrast to the worlds' view of marriage and death. The funerals were four people of a variety of ages. Mark Ricks was 100, Clarence Jackson was 96, Brad Ford was 28, and Joaquin Ruiz was 6. All died of natural causes except Brad Ford who died in a powered parachute accident. All were members of the LDS faith and all these funerals relected the faith of Job when he asked retorically, If a man die, will he live again? His answer shouts his faith when he says, "For I know that my Redeemer liveth and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God."

Mark Ricks was the father of Stephen Ricks who lives in our ward. He lived with Stephen and Shirley until the last few months of his life. Clarence Jackson was my uncle - my dad's brother who was 2 years, 2 months, and 2 days younger than him. Both of these men had lived good long lives and accomplished much good and left an abundant righteous posterity. But even young Joaquin accomplished much good in his short life. He was born with a genetic defect that hindered his physical body. Yet his spirit and love for his family was evident at the funeral and to all who knew him. Perhaps the most tragic was Brad Ford who died flying his powered parachute. He left behind a beautiful wife and daughter. Yet even his funeral emphasized the blessings of eternal families.

In the movie I mentioned above, Hugh Grant is delivering a speech as "best man" at one of the weddings and referring to his previous experience as "best man" for another marriage that lasted only two days! The wedding party bursts out laughing. Now contrast that with the wedding reception I attended for Marcus Forbes, son of our good friends from Fairfield, CA who now live in Highland, UT. Marcus and his bride were married in the temple for time and All Eternity. I am so glad I can be a part of an Eternal Family!

1 comment:

BonnieG said...

Great blog post, Harold! I enjoyed reading your insights and comparisons to the movie.

Hopefully in the next few months the number of weddings will far outnumber the funerals you attend.

I too am thankful we have the gospel of Jesus Christ to give us a proper perspective on life.