Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Big Green Truck










In the process of cleaning up the yard at Dad's house in Springville last year, it came time to dispose of the Big Green Truck. It was a 1951 International Harvester Model R-152 truck that held lots of memories for our Dad but had not run in probably 15 years. It just sat in Dad's backyard and collected snow and ice and leaves and cherries falling from the tree above it. Andrew and I toyed with the idea of restoring it but we both realized we would never get around to it. So I put an ad on Craig's list and sold it for $300 (a little more than scrap metal price)

The fellow who bought it came and took it away on a flatbed towtruck. It was kind of sad to see it go with so many memories tied up with it. Maybe you have to be a "truck guy" to understand. But Mom understood. She wrote a little book called "Harold and the Big Green Truck" and gave it to me for my birthday one year. Maybe someday I'll have it published.

2 comments:

BonnieG said...

Harold, I loved your post! It kind of made me sad too, to see the pictures of the truck being hauled away. I have many memories of that truck too, including Dad teaching me how to drive it and Dad taking me to college at BYU my freshman year. Dad hauled a lot of fruit in that truck over the years. He hauled alot of blocks too. Bye, bye green truck.
BTW, Can I get a copy of that story that Mom wrote for you? I couldn't find it in my collection of writings.

Linda said...

i am glad you took a good picture of it before having it hauled off...I TOO have memories of that truck.
1. Moving our stuff back to Provo after our summer in Billings.
2. Throwing years and years of Ensign Magazines from the attic, out Bonnie's bedroom window, and into the truck to be hauled off, when we were doing the BIG CLEAN UP/GARAGE SALE. I guess Dad was...#3.
3. Dad coming to Utah and getting fruit to sell up in Montana.
4. Wondering what treasures lie awaiting in there in the Springville Years. Finally seeing some of them...one, a box of magazines and stuff about Semintal Cattle. Cows. Whatever you call it.
5. When I grew up we had an International Harvester Station Wagon, so I felt ...related.
6.Bye Bye, Green Truck. You had the love of a good man. And gave good memories to his kids!